Sunday 12 August 2012

Songs that will ever remind me of my time in Milan plus a selection of lyrics

Well, as much as I don't want it to end, my time in Milan is coming to a close.  In three weeks' time I shall be heading down to Rome to focus on my Italian for four weeks (as noted this weekend, my Italian is currently much better than my French and I hope to improve it further).

With brief explanations as to why (for some there are reasons, for others there are not), I include below a selection of songs which will always remind me of Milan.


1)  Goodbye Kiss by Kasabian

Doomed from the start
We met with a goodbye kiss
I broke my wrist




A good friend told me about this song quite early on in the secondment.  It's so unlike other Kasabian songs and has such lovely lyrics.  This will be the song that makes me cry a little.



2)  Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen

I didn't know I would feel it
But it's in my way

[Literally, there are no good lyrics in this song, but it's so damn catchy]


Thanks to Belinda for bringing this "amazing" tune into my life.  However, the topless Abercrombie version makes it worthwhile.  Look out for Milan in the video.


3)   Come Back Little Star by Patterson Hood

I'm not really mad
Mean I'm trying hard to understand
We both have these dreams too long
To let them slip through your hands
I've got a drink or two myself to control the sting
Standard blown to tatters
When you traded in your wheels for wings

[In contrast to the aforementioned song, this song is full of beautiful lyrics]




A lazy Sunday afternoon whilst a storm was raging outside lead me to this beautiful beautiful song


4)   Without You by David Guetta and Usher

I can't quit now, this can't be right  
I can't take one more sleepless night  
Without you, without you




No real reason, but it's awesome.



5)  Heroes by David Bowie 

Though nothing,
nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
Oh we can be Heroes,
just for one day


 Olympic madness, Team GB forever.



6)  Promises (Skrillex remix) by Nero

And you keep telling me,
Telling me that you'll be sweet,
And you'll never want to leave my side,
As long as I don't break these...

Promises, and they still feel all so wasted on myself





Sad lyrics over dubstep.  What's not to love?


7)  Hangover by Taio Cruz

I got a hangover, wo-oh!
I've been drinking too much for sure




This reminds me of a particularly dance-y moment in Just Cavalli with my colleagues, all going mad.  Super fun. 


8)  This Modern Love by Bloc Party

And don't get offended, if I seem absent minded
I get tongue-tied

What are you holding out for?
What's always in the way?
Why so damn absent-minded?
Why so scared of romance?

This modern love breaks me






Some things happened, or didn't happen, or should have happened with some Italian boys (no details).  This song calls to me.


9)  Shake it out by Florence and the Machine

And I've been a fool and I've been blind
I can never leave the past behind

I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart




I just got really into this song (and the Ceremonials album, actually!).  Excellent.


10)  We found love by Rihanna and Calvin Harris

Yellow diamonds in the light  
And we're standing side by side  
As your shadow crosses mine
What it takes to come alive



Another Belinda "classic".  Still reminds me of Just Cavalli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews