Thursday 16 August 2012

Being an adult

It seems that the closer I get to qualification (3 days until finishing the training contract, 17 days until I am hopefully put onto the Roll and can thus "hold myself out as being a qualified solicitor"), the more certain, more mundane, parts of my life seem to be falling apart.

Tasks that I have become truly terrible at of late:  doing laundry on a regular basis (as opposed to waiting until you're approaching running out of pants or the top you want to wear isn't clean); having a stocked fridge/having anything in the fridge that isn't salad or prosecco; cooking; cleaning on a regular basis; managing one's money sensibly rather than buying the occasional pair of ludicrously expensive but beautiful shoes, und so weiter.

These are all household tasks, ones which I am sure I used to be good at at university but seem to be doing less and less.

However, when I compare to the other things that I do, I'm not so sure it's really a problem.  They're hardly the same as winning at life.  I've managed to somehow get a job in the department I wanted to, in London (which is no minor feat), having spent a fabulous 6 months in Milan, learning Italian, running around with my Italian friends, visiting places and overall gathering stories.  Surely, in the dark days and nights in the office, noone is going to want to hear about how I spent my life cleaning my flat, they're going to be far more interested in hearing about crazy Italian nightclubs, aperitivo in designer bars and nights where you get whisked off on a scooter.

That's how I'd rather live.  So I guess I'll carry on, even if it's the archetypal definition of "hot mess".  London, I'm ready.




"But now, my love, we are here, we are now, and those other times are running elsewhere." – A.S. Byatt, Possession




***EDIT***  I am now no longer ready.  As expected, ever closer to qualification, something ELSE has gone wrong and it seems like my flat has completely fallen through.  So back to the drawing board on finding somewhere else to live.  This is bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews