Wednesday 16 May 2012

Reasons to not leave Italy


We are waiting to hear about job offers in the London office. In some ways, I don't want to know, I want to keep this Italian dream alive. Once I find out, I suppose I have to speak with the office here and then (maybe?) have to think about a decision.

I still love Italy. Admittedly, whilst the Italian is improving, it is still hard and I feel stupid a lot of the time, especially when I realise I could actually have said something (I am very hard on myself. It's how I've been this successful so far and it's how I'll stay successful). I also have never done finance before, so I feel really stupid when I can't do something, or it takes me longer. However, let's recognise that I am overly hard on myself and move on.

SO in no particular order, the following is a non-exhaustive list of reasons why if I leave Italy, I will return. And often. And hopefully live here in the future.



1) The food. Buffalo mozzarella from Campania, gelato from Grom, plates of delicious risotto, crudo, verdure grigliati, salds with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, prosecco, pesto from Genoa, chocolate from Turin. I could go on.

2) Italian as a language. So beautiful.

3) Aperol spritz.

4) Espresso.

5) The aperitivo concept in general.

6) Italian men (I am a total convert. Sorry UK, but proportion of good-looking men is much higher here).

7) Clichés - scooters, roses, late nights, coffee, people smoking cigarettes on balconies, passionate discussions one minute which don't matter 10 seconds later, speaking with gestures.

8) The fashion - it is not that it is not available in the UK, it is more that the average person in Italy (certainly in the centre of Milan) has much more innate style than the average person in the UK. This is particularly noticeable comparing standard of male fashion in London compared with Milan.

9) 10 Corso Como. It is my happy place, my aspirational place and everything I hoped it would be. It is an oasis a mere 15 minute walk from casa mia.

10) I'm just more content here, without being a million miles and a horrendously different time zone away from the important people in the UK. Contentment, without feeling like I'm escaping completely and without it being unattainable.

11) I can walk down the streets and be admired for the ginger, not shouted at (yes, that still happens).

12) The availability of Vogue Italia.

13) Armani.

14) The indescribable ambience.

15) Italian people. SO lovely.

16) Sundays being more chilled out.

17) The Italian countryside.

18) Other Italian towns.

19) Italian people on bicycles in the centre of Milan. So chic.

20) Italian men in well-cut suits and good shades, on bicycles (or generally, in fact, but especially on bicycles. Or scooters. I'll take a scooter).

21) Vespas. LOVE.

22) Lake Como (see photo), and I am sure the other Lakes are equally beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews