Monday 19 March 2012

First day in the office

Note - I will not be updating every day!! But my first day in the Milan office ought to be documented, surely?

Overall, pretty good! The team are (as I was told) absolutely lovely. The partner said that things were quite quiet, I assume on an English-language side at least, since he and my office-mates seemed rather busy to me! I was taken out to lunch to a mozzarella bar to experience real Italian food - excellent. Haven't got any work yet, so I spent the day reading the Milan office guide (in Italian) and about securitisations (in English!).

On the language side, obviously I spent a lot of today speaking English but I did feel a lot better about understanding. I think it's probably easier to understand the better-educated Italians (similar to foreigners trying to understand the Queen's English compared with a cockney, or worse, a Northerner). But it did give me a certain amount of relief that my Italian lessons hadn't been totally wasted! I'll be getting more lessons throughout my time in the Milan office anyway.


Now, onwards, to chilling out and to figuring out why the below photo (of the National People's Congress, apparently) is mysteriously on my desktop.

2 comments:

  1. "I think it's probably easier to understand the better-educated Italians (similar to foreigners trying to understand the Queen's English compared with a cockney, or worse, a Northerner)." -Erm, awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimed directly at you, babes!!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews