Sunday 25 March 2012

End of the first week




I have survived my first week. Not that I was expecting otherwise, of course, but the first week is always the most difficult.

I'd say that the highlight was probably being seated in the window at Fashion Cafe on casual Friday (a cafe which was full of The Beautiful People). Notable mentions ought to include understanding vague topics at the Finance Meeting, feeling like I will understand more Italian in a few months' time (and learning that the lunch there was so much better than the London office) and meeting up with a friend from uni who lives in Milan - including sitting outside at Bar Brera for an aperitivo. At one of the tables, there was an Italian who looked like Del Boy - brown leather jacket, signet ring, same face - who was sat with an Italian version of Jimmy Saville, complete with unlit cigar remaining in his mouth for a good hour and a half.

Things I have learnt/realised:

- there is a lot more use of the horn when driving;
- discussions can be a LOT more passionate - cf the Milan Office finance meeting, at which I did not understand much, other than the general subject matter. See also general telephone negotiations;
- spikes are in Milan fashion. Everywhere. My favourites were a pair of Louboutins with spikes of varying lengths on the toes and a clutch bag (also Louboutin) which looked as if it could double up as a weapon. I wonder if I could justify spending the equivalent of a month's rent (London) on it, citing my personal safety...
- queuing. It's not something they do. Particularly little old ladies who have no form of etiquette. Luckily I have sharp elbows and they will be used over the next few months;
- graffitti is EVERYWHERE;
- "Ciao bella/bello" seems mostly like a "hey girl/boy". Unless it's said to you by randoms in the street.



At present, the only plans I have for the day are to meet up with some of the other new trainees and test out aperitivi at Living in Parco Sempione. I might go for an explore around Porta Ticinese or even use the public transport system. Despite living on one of the tramlines, I've yet to set foot on the transport system, as Milan is quite small and I've walked everywhere. However, my legs are feeling achey from the two runs (albeit short) I've done in the past two days and from the 8 additional miles I walked yesterday. Ouch.






And in true fashion blogger style, below is what I ended up wearing for dress down Friday: maroon silk Kooples top, black skinnies, the Jacket and flat black boots. Awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews